Prayer for the Day - Friday April 11th

Bible Verse: "Only in the land of Goshen, where the Israelites were, there was no hail" - Exodus 10:26

Reflection: And so the plagues continue in Egypt as the hard-hearted Pharoah continues to resist God's purposes. I'm not sure there is a great difference between God sending these punishments or Pharoah's attitudes generating the punishment - let's face it, the result is the same. And yet... in the land of Goshen the Israelites were safe.
You see when the disciple stays within the fold of the people of God, when the person/people of God are trying to hear God's word and when they rest in the land of Goshen (and the word means 'cultivated/labored') then there is protection. So get back in community, make to listen and get busy productively.

Prayer: Lord, keep me attentive, creative and in community. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Turin Shroud

Though my faith does not rest upon the authenticity of the Turin Shroud and though the practice of relics has never been part of my spiritual journey yet the story and debate about the Shroud has always fascinated me. It has been no problem for me to accept its authenticity and I rather like the image of resurrection power acting like some power almost unknown to man.


Quite recently another study as published arguing for the authenticity of the scrolls http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/discovery/turin-shroud-made-by-flash-of-light-1.1202271, it's worth reading.



So perhaps I am a crypto-conservative pre-Vatican Roman Catholic somewhere very deep down and well hidden in this evangelical body. I doubt this really; I remember when I was asked to kiss a relic of King Charles in a church not too far from here - my thought, and later comment, was, "I try not to kiss anything without some form of identification!


I think, at heart, I am thrilled by the possibility of seeing resurrection power so tangibly at work though I know it is as much at work in the hearts and lives of women and men throughout the ages and in my life today. And, I suppose, the possibility that here is the face of Jesus... well!

No comments: