Prayer for the Day - Friday April 11th

Bible Verse: "Only in the land of Goshen, where the Israelites were, there was no hail" - Exodus 10:26

Reflection: And so the plagues continue in Egypt as the hard-hearted Pharoah continues to resist God's purposes. I'm not sure there is a great difference between God sending these punishments or Pharoah's attitudes generating the punishment - let's face it, the result is the same. And yet... in the land of Goshen the Israelites were safe.
You see when the disciple stays within the fold of the people of God, when the person/people of God are trying to hear God's word and when they rest in the land of Goshen (and the word means 'cultivated/labored') then there is protection. So get back in community, make to listen and get busy productively.

Prayer: Lord, keep me attentive, creative and in community. In Jesus' Name. Amen

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

AA - Accepting Ambiguities

One of the joys of our regular Morning Prayer is that we welcome unexpected visitors who come with fresh experiences of God and perspectives on the divine.

By the way, Morning Prayer is every morning at 8:30am Monday-Friday - please try and make it sometime!

Anyway, this morning I met S. I was really excited to learn that S. had been baptized earlier this year and then was ready to identify with that mystery of the Episcopal Church/The Anglican Communion.

I asked, of course, what had precipitated or propelled S. into such a decision; she responded, "I want to accept the ambiguities of life". WOW! KAPOW! Blinding lights! Cosmic disclosures! I reckon this to be a most significant and unique aspect of the Anglican Communion; not better nor worse than other denominations but just perfect for many on their spiritual journeys. Our Christ-centred faith has at its centre the God/Man of Jesus; our Biblical faith has at its centre a book written by human hand but constantly conveying the dibine; our sacramental faith has at its centre earthy elements of bread and wine conveying to the receiver the benefits of feeding upon the Body and Blood of Christ... and so I could continue!

Canon John Westerhoff once said, "If you do not love paradox, do not become an Anglican"!

When I am not accepting the ambiguities of life, I know that I become rather a frightful person with whom to live and work; denying the conflict within, I turn to others and expect a thorough-going consistency between belief and practice!

Like S. I am nurtured to be in a community that allows articulation of observing, experiencing and living with ambiguities. And I want a community that tells me that one day these ambiguities will be resolved and that, praise God, they often show themselves in daily living - even today!

Thank you, S.

No comments: